School Librarian Resume And Cover Letter
School Librarian Cover Letter
School Librarians are employed by public or private schools to recommend students effective research methods. Common School Librarian activities include organizing materials, helping individuals and groups find resources, doing office work, delivering information literacy instruction, assisting people with disabilities, recommending community resources, and helping teachers find materials needed for classroom use.
A sample cover letter for School Librarian usually emphasizes the following qualifications:
- Information literacy expertise
- Adaptability to change
- Computer proficiency and familiarity with online media
- Project management skills
- Library services experience
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills
- Organization and planning
Below is presented a School Librarian sample cover letter displaying similar skills.
For help with your resume, check out our extensive School Librarian Resume Samples.
Dear Mr. Boyd:
Upon review of your posting for a Librarian at Prescott High School, I hastened to submit the enclosed resume for your review. As a skilled and educated professional with more than 14 years of experience in library services, I feel confident of my ability to exceed your expectations for this role.
My background in supporting a broad range of school library responsibilities prepares me to substantially impact your organization. With my successful history of assisting library users in research efforts, information acquisition, and materials location—along with my superior ability to communicate with teachers, administrators, and students of all ages—I am ready to extend my record of excellence with your company.
Highlights of my experience include the following…
- Earning an MSLS degree in 2009 from Pascall University with a specialized focus on school library support.
- Providing comprehensive support in various library service areas such as reference desk support, circulation, collection development, interlibrary loans, bibliographic support, and library instruction.
- Utilizing advanced information technology resources including internal / external databases, digital libraries, remote-access information sources, and the Internet to facilitate library user research, data acquisition, and materials location.
- Organized, analytical, and personable with an outstanding reputation for excellent team collaboration.
With my solid knowledge of school library services and support, combined with my passion for the wealth of information and learning potential that libraries have to offer, I am positioned to significantly benefit your librarian team at Prescott. I look forward to discussing my qualifications in more detail.
Thank you for your consideration.
Emma K. Hammond
School Librarian Cover Letter
The school librarian cover letter should be written in such a way that it conveys everything about the applicant. It is important that a cover letter written by the applicant accompany the resume. This will help create a good impression and convey to the employer that you are serious about working there. Writing a good cover letter shows effort on your behalf.
Almost every school has a library where they store some of the best books available for children to read. To care for these books, a good librarian is required. Therefore, schools hire the help of professional librarians. Most schools are funded by federal funding and hence, the librarian can expect a good salary and benefits. Even private schools pay the librarians well. Hence, there is competition in this field and a good cover letter can turn out to be a blessing in disguise.
By writing an appealing cover letter, you can show you are adept at writing and have a keen interest for books. The resume can only reflect the qualifications and work experience of the candidate, but with a cover letter, you can connect on a personal level with the employer and that can prove to be advantageous in landing in the job. Therefore, take this extra effort in writing a pleasing cover letter and you are sure to land in a librarian job in a reputed school. Read the pointers on cover letter writing given below and also see the school librarian cover letter example to draft you own cover letter.
What should a school librarian cover letter have?
- Like most letters, communication address and phone number should be at the beginning and a formal salutation
- Address the letter to the person who is hiring for the position. Since you are writing to a school, sometimes there could be someone else who might be in charge of hiring, therefore, confirm who is the hiring authority and address the letter to him
- In the beginning paragraph of the letter, state clearly from where you came to know about the vacancy in their school and also mention about your interest in the position
- In the second paragraph, state where have you worked before as a librarian, If you are a fresher, then you can mention about qualifications and why you want to work as a librarian
- Then in the next paragraph mention your special skills that may not have mentioned in the resume or you can expand on the skills you have mentioned
- Also, state your skills that will make you a good librarian; good organizational skills, thirst for reading, helping other in finding information they need, etc.
- In the same paragraph, mention why you would be the right person for the job
- In the final paragraph, mention that you would like to come for an interview for the job and again provide all your personal correspondence information
- Ensure that the letter has at least 3-4 small paragraphs so that the letter does not look too small or too big, and is readable
- Bullet points in the letter are also fine but then it becomes hard to give that personal touch to the letter in a bullet point format
- After finishing the letter, mention the enclosures and check for proper grammar; you are writing to a school authority and one grammatical mistake can cost you the interview
Follow these points exactly and the end result would be a job winning cover letter. Getting the interview with the help of an impressive cover letter is half the battle won. If you are still unsure about the letter check out the sample cover letter provided below:
Robert J. Hall
43rd Flora Street
Salt Lake City, Utah, U.S.A.
(646) 746 947
Eagle Rock High School
Salt Lake City, Utah, U.S.A.
This letter is in response to your advertisement placed in the City Herald dated October 15, 2011. The advertisement stated that there is an opening in your school for the position of librarian. I am very much interested in this position, as I have heard a lot about Eagle Rock High School and the kind of great education your school provides.
I have been working for the past 2 years in Hoover High School as the assistant librarian. Here, I have been handling a vast array of books on all subjects that are taught in the school and also all the best fiction books available. I am extremely adept at using the Dewey Decimal Classification System and have arranged all the books accordingly. Blessed with a sharp memory and good organization skills, I have performed well as an assistant and now I feel it is time for me to move up. There is no better school than Eagle Rock High School for me to display my library skills and I assure you I will be valid addition to you staff.
I thank you for taking precious time out of your busy schedule to read this letter. Please do grant me an opportunity to be interviewed for the position. I can be reached on my phone (646) 746 947 and my e-mail id is firstname.lastname@example.org. I am looking forward to receiving a positive response from your side.
Robert J. Hall
- Photocopy of Degree in Library Science
- Photocopy of Experience Letter
The school librarian cover letter given above is an example for this kind of letter. You can use the same letter for yourself by making a few changes in the details as per your requirement.